Honeymoon Style

banner

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Are Wedding Registries Getting Ridiculous?

Wedding registries has been a hot topic with brides discussing their registries with the reverence of one talking of the birth of their first child. Makes me wonder if they are getting married to furnish their homes instead of making a life long commitment to their life partner.

I am beginning to think that wedding registries are created by corporate America to sell, sell and sell some more useless items to pad their bottom line.

Case in point: I got invited to a wedding where I know the grooms parents, but haven't seen the groom since he was little and couldn't pick him out of a police line up. I don't know anything about him or the bride. How we got invited is beyond me since I haven't seen his parents in two or three years. Since work is conflicting and the wedding is two hours away, we politely declined the invitation and set about to send a gift.

OMG...after a lot of head smacking and screaming WTF a few times, I make my husband look at their gift registries, no less than four of them. The couple registered for a 52" flat screen TV, a Canon SLR camera with a discounted price of $749, a deluxe outdoor gas grill to make any man break down in tears of joy, a wii with the wii fit bundle, a home stereo system, a Garmin GPS, a sofa bed, end tables, crystal lamps, an entertainment center, sterling silver flatware (didn't know anyone but my Grandma that wanted that!), high end luggage, a beer refrigerator with door tap AND a beer cooler, a wine refrigerator, a sterling silver tea set, 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, a camcorder with 42X zoom, an Aero garden with accessories, a Kitchen Aid mixer with ravioli attachment (the attachment is $149.00!!), china, crystal, a food dehydrator, a juicer, convection oven and expensive artwork and paintings.

Needless to say, no one has purchased anything high end. Seriously, what were they thinking when they registered? Do you really need a 52" wide screen TV? My husband says yes. Will they use the china and sterling flatware? Probably once or twice because people don't host dinner parties where they break out the good china unless you travel in high society. This couple doesn't. My own china is gathering dust in the cupboard, I've chalked it up as a big waste of my $$$$. When you have kids, you don't want to use it. Its pretty, but not useful. Are you listening brides? You PROBABLY WON'T EVER USE IT...you'll use nice everyday dishes. Register for a a good set of everyday dishes.

And then there is the really ridiculous. A close, repeat close family member was cajoled into registering. They had a brand new house full of new furniture and gadgets and didn't need anything. Her future mother in law insisted they register for what they want. So they registered for Doritos and salsa, video games, hand crafted beer, tampons, paper towels and paper plates. Mind you, these people have PHD's! And they did get the Doritos and were thrilled. I gave $$$.

So, I'm back to the usual...a gift card. Buy what you want. I have a headache from reading the registries. You figure out how to make it cover what you want.

I want to create my own registry, just because. I want a hard top convertible, a cruise through the Greek islands, some spa treatments, a nip here, a tuck there, a new wardrobe and a date with George Clooney. Think anyone will help fund my fantasy?

No comments:

Post a Comment