Honeymoon Style

banner

Monday, November 10, 2008

A One Fingered Salute to Proposition 8

While surfing the blogosphere, I came across
an interesting post on
Eating Out Loud
, regarding Proposition 8, the
California proposition that wants to overturn
Supreme Court legislation allowing gay couples
to marry.

"I decided to snap a photo of my ring placed on a
slightly different finger than normal to express
exactly how I feel toward every single person who
voted Yes on Prop 8. It’s my personal version
of ‘let freedom ring’. The battle for equality
changes course but it’s very far from over."

This movement has been moved over to
Diary of a Modern Matriach
where couples of all persuasions are showing
their displeasure with the ruling.

As a wedding professional, I've dressed many
gay couples for their discreet commitment
ceremonies long before you ever heard of
commitment ceremonies. I saw two loving
people who wanted to dedicate their lives to
each other. They were no different from you
or me other than the fact that they loved someone
of the same sex. Their lifestyle certainly
didn't affect my life in any way, nor those of
my children.

I grew up in a rural area, read Amish farm
area. There were spinsters who raised children
together and bachelor farmers who lived and
farmed together for their entire lifetime.
They were gay and they were Amish. And no
one spoke about it, it was just accepted in
the ultra strict Bible belt area.

In the wedding industry, I have many gay friends
who are very active in the industry. Your wedding
dress may have been designed by a gay designer.
Or not. You'll probably never know. But I do.

If two people want to get married and spend
their lives together, why should anyone have the
right to say that they can't? No one told me
that I couldn't marry the first ass that I married.
Nor when I married Mr. Wonderful and found my soul
mate. It was my right and my freedom to do so.
Everyone should have that right.

And before all of you haters hit me up with your
religious beliefs, gimmeabreak. I did 8 years of
hard time in Catholic schools and I know the Bible.

I keep going back to the fact that God loves us
all. He made us all in His image. So if God loves
us all the same, why can't you? Because someone doesn't
act, think or appear the way you want them to be,
doesn't make them bad, evil or a sub par citizen.

And don't thump your Bible at me. I don't want to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment