Honeymoon Style

banner

Thursday, November 15, 2007

I Screwed Up, I'm The Boss, Its My Neck

OK, I screwed up. I'm self employed. Everything that goes wrong is my fault. I take the blame, I face the consequences. Even when I don't deserve it. And this crap is getting old fast.

The Cliff notes version:
Mother of the bride (MOB) brings in dress to be cleaned and preserved. I send it off. Dress comes back to me uncleaned. Some mumbo jumbo about the plant being unable to process it at this time. (Turns out they just sold the company).

I take the dress to a local cleaner who says all 5 locations are closing at the end of the month. I tell MOB the truth, promise it will ship tomorrow to a different plant. I pick up the dress. I can't move. Can't drive home, end up in the ER with a ruptured disc. Talk of surgery, lots of pain, can't sleep, can't walk. End up doing 6 weeks of rehab. I can't work, but I have an amazing staff who will carry on.

Amazing staff puts the dress in the closet in a solid colored bag and forgets about it. I find out the dress has been in the closet for 6 weeks, I'm not happy. MOB screams at me for 15 minutes. I apologize profusely. I refund her money. She's livid. Her last words to me were "You are going to pay." I feel lower than a snake's belly.

She'll berate me to everyone . Do I deserve it? Yes and No. Yes, because I am self employed and I'm responsible. Self employed people can't afford to get sick, take a day off, or a vacation. Everyone's mistake becomes MY mistake. No, because some things happened over which I had no control. But I'll take the rap because I should have remembered.

Moral of the story: There are two sides to every story. The one you'll hear blabbed all over town and the internet and the real story.

No comments:

Post a Comment